Directors: Tom and Helen Tarttelin
266-270 Stanley Street, (PO Box 6149) Townsville, Qld 4810
Phone (W): (07) 4726 3253
The following introduction to Catholic Mission is taken from the website at www.catholicmission.org.au. You are encouraged to find out more about Catholic Mission by visiting this website.
A Short Introduction
Catholic Mission is the official mission aid agency of the Catholic Church providing practical, spiritual and emotional support to communities in 160 developing countries, encouraging all people to be active participants in partnership with the church world-wide. In 2004, Catholic Mission internationally contributed more than $US140 million to:
- Health, hygiene and nutrition programs
- Education, literacy and self-development programs for adults and children
- Providing agricultural resources and equipment
- Building schools, orphanages, health clinics, churches, presbyteries, convents and accommodation for lay leaders
- Education and training of priests, religious men and women, and lay catechists who care for children and their local communities
- Supporting local church communities in remote areas of Australia and their work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Educating Australians about mission and justice.
Catholic Mission has operated in Australia for 80 years and was founded over 175 years ago in Lyon, France. In other countries, Catholic Mission is known as the Pontifical Mission Societies.
Our Vision ... Life for All
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full" (Jn 10:10b)
Our vision is of a world in which all people, free from any discrimination and all barriers to life, can reach full happiness, allowing them to live their lives in full dignity, as the Creator God intends.
Our Mission ... to achieve Life for All in the work of global mission
Like Jesus, our Mission is to bring good news to the poor, proclaim release to captives and recovery of sight to the blind, let the oppressed go free, and proclaim the year of the Lord's favour (Cf.Lk 4:18)
Our Work ...
- Educating about mission and justice ... creating awareness and providing educational resources throughout Australia.
- Educating Australians in global mission ... offering opportunities to participate in this work of mission and justice through prayer, action, giving and cross-cultural immersion.
- Fostering local church leadership by assisting the training of local priests, religious, catechists and lay leaders overseas.
- Encouraging children and adults to care for children through education, healthcare, shelter and personal development programs worldwide.