The Diocese of Townsville was established in 1930. It covers an area of 434,400 square kilometres, extending from Townsville on the Coast, to the Whitsunday and Burdekin regions in the South and North to Ingham and Halifax, south-west to Winton, and west to the border with the Northern Territory, encompassing Mount Isa and several small, isolated western towns and east to Palm Island.
The population of the Townsville Diocese is approximately 290 000.
The Catholic Population of the Diocese is approximately 79 000.
There are 26 parishes within the Diocese.
The Most Rev Timothy Harris was ordained as the Sixth Bishop of Townsville on Wednesday 3rd May 2017
The previous Bishops of Townsville were:
- T.B. McGuire, 1930 - 1938 (Died 4 July, 1957)
- H.E. Ryan, 1938 - 1967 (Died 13 November, 1977)
- L.A. Faulkner, 1967 - 1983 (Died 6 May, 2018)
- R.C. Benjamin, 1984 - 2000 (Died 6 March, 2016)
- M.E. Putney, 2001 - 2014 (Died 28 March, 2014)
The various offices, bodies and agencies listed in this section of the website are official bodies of the diocese. Other bodies with a more autonomous status are listed in the "Organisations" section of this website.