The Discalced Carmelites, or the Discalced Brothers of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel, are members of a Catholic religious order that follows on from the tradition of the Old Testament prophets and the early Christian hermits. The name of the Order is taken from the biblical Mount Carmel in Palestine, where the first brothers established themselves during the time of the crusades so as to live a life of obedience to Jesus Christ. They took their inspiration from the Old Testament prophet Elijah and the Virgin Mary, the Mother of God, to whom their first church, and later the whole Carmelite Order, was dedicated.
In the sixteenth century, when many of the older Order were being reformed - either from within or from without because of the decrees of Trent - St. Teresa of Jesus, the great Spanish mystic, established her first cloistered Carmel at Avila in 1562. She secured permission to extend the reform to the friars. Providence gave her St. John of the Cross, another extraordinary mystic for the realization of this project. The net result of their combined efforts was the foundation of the Discalced Carmelite Order in 1593.
While the sisters live an enclosed life, the friars live a life that is both contemplative and apostolic, in imitation of Jesus who lived both the prayer in the desert and the ministry of compassion with the multitudes. Their life of contemplation is primarily a service designed for the whole Church.
Our Patroness: Our Lady of Mount Carmel
Our Holy Parents: St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross
Accepting the request of the late Bishop of Townsville, Most Rev. Michael Putney to establish a Discalced Carmelite Community in Townsville, two priests, Frs. John Kunnathumadappallil and Joshy John reached Townsville on 23rd June 2010 from the Malabar Province of the Discalced Carmelite Order in Kerala, India. They were received at the Townsville airport by Bishop Michael and Diocesan Chancellor, Len Horner. They were sent to various parishes in the Diocese for brief periods to get a feel of the different parishes far and wide before they were given independent charges of two city parishes. Fr. John was appointed parish priest of Holy Spirit Parish, Cranbrook on the 22nd of January 2011 and Fr. Joshy John was appointed parish priest of St. Joseph the Worker Parish, Wulguru on the 29th of January 2011.
The Monastery, under the tile of Mount Carmel was blessed and erected by Bishop Michael Putney after the 6.00 pm Mass on 22nd January 2011. Fr. Greg Hememing, Regional Vicar of the Australian Carmelite Delegation and Fr. Sunny Paeckal from the Carmelite Community in Perth were present on the occasion besides other priests, religious and faithful of the Diocese. Fr. John Kunnathumadappallil was appointed the first Father-in-charge of the Mount Carmel Monastery. Later Bishop Michael appointed Fr. John Chaplain to the Malayalam speaking Indian Community in Townsville. On 24th November 2012 Fr. Thomas Pulickal joined the Mount Carmel Monastery as its third member. He was later appointed Assistant priest to the Cathedral parishes and Catholic Chaplain to the Townsville General Hospital.
In July 2013 we started the OCD-S, the lay wing of the Carmelites in Townsville and Fr. Thomas is in charge of their formation. There are about 15 members who have joined the OCD-S. They meet once a month for their prayer and studies of the Carmelite Charism.
For further information please contact:
Fr John Kunnathumadapallil ocd
Fr Joshy John ocd
Fr Thomas Pulickal ocd
(07) 4779 1404