The Diocese of Townsville was established in 1930.  It covers an area of 434,400 square kilometres, extending from Townsville on the Coast, to the Whitsunday and Burdekin regions in the South and North to Ingham and Halifax, south-west to Winton, and west to the border with the Northern Territory, encompassing Mount Isa and several small, isolated western towns and east to Palm Island.